Data Scientist Degree Apprenticeship
Data Scientist Degree Apprenticeship
Program start date:
Programme start date: September 2024
Explore how data science delivers real-world digital solutions to improve and innovate our roads and achieve a degree-level qualification
What you’ll be doing
As an apprentice Data Scientist, you’ll join our Digital Services directorate, tackling a variety of real-world business problems and understanding where data science can help with solutions. Working with experienced specialists in our Digital Lab Data Science team, you’ll learn to understand and work with cloud infrastructure and explore the different stages of a data science project, from understanding the business problem to data preparation, modelling, and deployment. You’ll get involved with exciting and innovative digital projects that will make a real difference on our road network.
- Examples of previous projects include:
- A model that predicts future traffic flow
- An automated chatbot
- A tool that uses natural language processing to search documentation
On your learning programme, you’ll complete an undergraduate degree in Data Science, which is fully funded at no cost to you.
What you’ll get in return
By combining working and learning, you’ll gain valuable hands-on experience and pave the way for a bright future with us. We’ll support your development every step of the way and you’ll enjoy the chance to shape your future with personalised development plans and career guidance.
- A dedicated line manager, job mentors and a skills coach to provide encouragement, direction and career planning support
- Flexible working arrangements and time away from your role for your studies
- Opportunities to connect and network with other apprentices as part of our Early Talent community
- As well as a competitive salary, you’ll also have access to a fantastic employee benefits package.
What you’ll need to succeed
It takes all kinds of people to keep our organisation (and roads) moving. Whatever your background, an apprenticeship is just the start of a long, fulfilling career with National Highways. If you can show that you’ve got what we see in our apprentices every day, you’ll be a great match.
- The ability to work effectively with others in a team
- The ability to work to timescales, understanding when and how to prioritise
- The ability to give and receive information effectively
- The ability to write clearly and concisely A desire and passion to grow your career at National Highways
- You’ll also need to have these essential qualifications: At least 5 GCSEs at grade 4 / grade C or above, including English and Maths Plus, one of the following: A minimum of 104 UCAS points with A-Levels (or a mix of A-Levels and equivalent qualifications) with at least one STEM subject (Science, Technology, Engineering or Maths) OR An equivalent Level 3 qualification (e.g. BTEC Extended Diploma) in a related subject OR Completed a Level 3 apprenticeship in in a related field It is key to know all offers to onto our apprenticeships are subject to satisfactory completion of our pre-employment checks. This includes a Right to Work check, reference check and a DBS criminal record check.
The Digital Services Directorate is a growing and vibrant team and there has never been a better time to join us as we go through our transformation programme. We are helping to transform the way National Highways operates by delivering digital, data and technology services from frontline to back office, in a modern and efficient way. Our vision is to develop integrated information and technology that empowers our colleagues and provides real-time information to our customers, integration with intelligent vehicle and transport systems as they develop, to improve journey safety and reliability. Why you should join us At National Highways we believe in a connected country. We are passionate about creating a culture where colleagues feel connected, included and enjoy greater wellbeing to achieve this. We’re proud that as an organisation we are continually striving to do better and actively encourage and support our colleagues to do the same with their careers. So, if you put safety first, take ownership of your work, show passion in what you do, work effectively in a team and demonstrate integrity in how you do it – then you’ll be a great fit for our organisation. And finally Please complete your application as soon as possible, as we may close to new applications earlier than the current closing date.