Network Engineer Apprentice
Network Engineer Apprentice
Bristol West Midlands
Program start date:
Salary: £18,600 per annum
Birmingham or Bristol
Discover the telecommunications networks that help us to operate our road network safely and efficiently and achieve a professional qualification.
What you’ll be doing
Starting in September 2024 as an apprentice Network Engineer, you’ll join our Digital Services directorate to support the telecommunications networks that allow us to operate our road network safely and efficiently.
Working with experienced specialists in our ‘on road’ Operational Technology team, this is your chance to discover our National Road Telecommunications Service (NRTS), which operates and maintains the telecommunications networks that link 30,000 roadside assets to our seven regional control centres and the National Traffic Operations Centre.
You’ll learn how this vital part of our infrastructure allows our key roadside technologies such as CCTV and emergency roadside telephones to communicate with other systems and share data. You’ll also interact with operational colleagues to support co-ordination and engagement of the service across our regions.
As well as gaining valuable experience in a unique and exciting environment, your learning programme will help you develop your skills and knowledge in:
• Networking and server administration fundamentals
• Network infrastructure, systems and architecture
• Network troubleshooting, optimisation and security
You’ll complete a Level 4 qualification, which is aligned with BCS the Chartered Institute for IT and will set you up for success in your career as a Network Engineer.
You’ll find loads more information about the skills and knowledge criteria you’ll work towards on this apprenticeship programme on our careers site which you can access via the apply button but are not obligated to apply to view details.
What you’ll get in return
By combining working and learning, you’ll gain valuable hands-on experience and pave the way for a bright future with us. We’ll support your development every step of the way and you’ll enjoy the chance to shape your future with personalised development plans and career guidance.
• A dedicated line manager, job mentors and a skills coach to provide encouragement, direction and career planning support
• Flexible working arrangements and time away from your role for your studies
• Opportunities to connect and network with other apprentices as part of our Early Talent community
As well as a competitive salary, you’ll also have access to a fantastic employee benefits package including:
• Annual Leave starting at 26 days (plus Bank Holidays) rising by 1 day each year up to 31 days (plus Bank Holidays).
• Health and wellbeing support, including an Employee Assistance Programme, available 24/7 365 days and network of mental health first aiders. Plus, access to a wellbeing app to enhance your self-care 24/7, Occupational health service and flu vaccines.
• Great deals, discounts and cash back offers from well-loved retailers.
• Access to an ABTA bonded travel agency
• Contributory pension scheme with generous employer contributions.
What you’ll need to succeed
It takes all kinds of people to keep our organisation (and roads) moving. Whatever your age, whatever your background, an apprenticeship is just the start of a long, fulfilling career with us.
If you can show that you’ve got what we see in our apprentices every day, you’ll be a great match. You’ll have:
• The ability to work effectively with others in a team
• The ability to work to timescales, understanding when and how to prioritise
• The ability to give and receive information effectively
• The ability to write clearly and concisely
• A desire and passion to grow your career at National Highways
You’ll also need to have these essential qualifications:
ONE of the following:
• A Level in ICT
• International Baccalaureate at Level 3 in ICT
• BTEC Extended Diploma in IT (180 credits)
• Completed a Level 3 apprenticeship in a similar subject
It is key to know all offers to onto our apprenticeships are subject to satisfactory completion of our pre-employment checks. This includes a Right to Work check, reference check and a DBS criminal record check.
Our strategic road network carries a third of all traffic and two thirds of all our country’s freight. By investing in the right projects (and in the brightest talent), we’re building a network that makes everyone better off.
The Digital Services Directorate is a growing and vibrant team and there has never been a better time to join us as we go through our transformation programme. We are helping to transform the way National Highways operates by delivering digital, data and technology services from frontline to back office, in a modern and efficient way.
Our vision is to develop integrated information and technology that empowers our colleagues and provides real time information to our customers, integration with intelligent vehicle and transport systems as they develop, to improve journey safety and reliability.
Why you should join us
At National Highways we believe in a connected country. We are passionate about creating a culture where colleagues feel connected, included and enjoy greater wellbeing to achieve this. We’re proud that as an organisation we are continually striving to do better and actively encourage and support our colleagues to do the same with their careers.
So, if you put safety first, take ownership of your work, show passion in what you do, work effectively in a team and demonstrate integrity in how you do it – then you’ll be a great fit for our organisation.
Please complete your application as soon as possible, as we may close to new applications earlier than the current closing date of Monday 4th March 2024.